Since version 1.6, a year ago, GT-Vouchers has gone through some big changes and currently sits at version 1.8.9 with 1.9 in testing. As always, many security and stability updates have been made over all, and in response to requests and suggestions from users, a number of new features have been implemented as well.
From oldest to newest, the new features include:
- Hide the CSV download link from listing owners
- Custom widget to list the most recent vouchers in 1 or more categories or 1 city
- Custom widget to show the most popular vouchers
- Default text color for all vouchers
- Custom text color per voucher
- Require a Facebook Like before downloading a voucher
- Voucher lists now link directly to the voucher on the page, instead of just the top
- Customizable call to action for the Facebook Like
- Limit the number of vouchers per price package
- Disconnected vouchers from Special Offers – they now work 100% independently
- Hide “Require Email” and “Require Facebook” option when users are creating vouchers
- Set a custom from name and email for all GT-Vouchers emails
- Voucher availability indicator on search results and archive (category) pages
- Replaced GeoTheme widgets for Latest Places Grid & List views to show “Voucher available” indicator
- Significant speed increase
- Customizable “Download this voucher” text
- Use a custom image instead of a template
- Show a preview image of the real voucher on the listing
- Cache preview images to keep server load low
- Download or print an image instead of a PDF
- Alert admin when new vouchers are created
- Addition of a some custom hooks & actions for “add-on” development
- WordPress 3.5 compatibility for uploader and color picker
- Send users to a custom Thank You page after registering for a voucher
- Introduce a “Voucher available” banner on some widgets – like the “Featured” banner in GeoTheme
- New widget to show total number of voucher downloads
- Pre-fill the name and email of registered site users when they register for a voucher
- Update dynamic widgets to be compatibile with WP Super Cache but not interfere when it’s not used.
- New system of updating the plugin and our own store (public site coming soon)
All that GT-Vouchers is and will be is entirely due to the people who have supported it and prodded me to keep at it.
What’s next for GT-Vouchers?
Work has already begun on GT-Vouchers 2.0 which is a complete 100% re-write of the plugin. No, I don’t have an ETA yet.
Some of the features will include:
- Focus on mobile compatibility & usability
- Better WordPress integration
- More types of vouchers (Daily deals, timed countdowns)
- Tracking for end merchants and site owners
- Flexible integration with more sites
- Better, more accessible documentation
Those are some of the broad topics and certainly not the only priorities. If you’re a current or prospective buyer, please get in touch and let me know what you are looking for in a voucher/coupon system.Read More
I’ve just released version 1.6 of GT-Vouchers over on Theme Tailors. There are several changes in this version but it primarily fixes a bug reported by users where the plugin would cause a site to hang – and eventually crash. That’s pretty bad.
As far as I can tell, this was caused by the original code performing unnecessary installation checks when actions where taken, and one of my features put this into a loop.
The new feature added is the option to show a countdown of the number of vouchers available just above the download button.
Nothing major, but it’s now sold a few copies and I expect more feedback to keep coming in.
Thanks to everyone who has supported this project.Read More
InstalledForYou.com now has 3 plugins available on ThemeTailors for GeoTheme and a fourth about to hit as I write this.
Previously I introduced you to GT-Dashboard which was upgraded recently to include a couple of more stats and an auto-updating feature.
Next up, IFY GeoTheme Exporter does what it says, it allows users to export from GeoTheme – specifically the emails and addresses of events & listings. Simple enough.
Third one out is the big one. GT-Vouchers is a fork of the existing VoucherPress plugin, but completely customized for GeoTheme users. It includes tight integration with price packages, places and events – giving the site owner good control over the use of vouchers and allowing them to set their pricing accordingly.
- Full GeoTheme integration
- Business owner can create/edit vouchers from the front end (or back if they have access)
- Site owner can create/edit vouchers
- Tied to your GeoTheme price package / Special Offers
- Create a voucher list page for ALL and/or By Category
- Customizable text for messages & email
- Customizable css for border around vouchers on listings
- Allow only logged in users to download vouchers – optional custom message when not logged in
- Optionally hide vouchers after maximum downloads are reached
- Business owners can download the email list for their vouchers
- Dozens of bug fixes and optimizations
The GeoTheme community has become very active lately as the theme gains popularity. Some of the examples in the showcase are quite well designed and show some real inspiration.Read More
I’ve been pretty bad about posting here, but busy responding to requests. Thanks to everyone who has been using my services. You sure keep me busy.
On top of customer support, my family and my day job, I’ve been working with Alex Shalman and John Chow to build an awesome plugin for comments on WordPress sites. Standout Comments is now up to version 0.95 and has been quite popular with those who use it.
As with most things WordPress, it’s been a community effort. Not only with John and Alex helping me get it done and marketed, but also with the awesome users of the plugin sending in bug reports, feature requests and suggestions. It’s truly amazing in a way I hadn’t imagined.
It’s also quite challenging as the number of variations of WordPress themes and installation situations start to emerge. Wow. Talk about “I hadn’t thought of that.”
StandoutComments generally let’s you integrate your marketing efforts into your comment form and take advantage of the fact the user is entering their email, but not in a sneaky way. The user is given the option to opt-in to your auto-responder and/or your Feedburner email feed. They can also follow you on Twitter.
- Full integration and customization with any WordPress theme
- Subscribe to notifications of new comments on posts
- Integrate with any auto-responder to grow your list
- Integrate with FeedBurner email to notify users of new posts
- Integrate with Twitter:
- Users enter Twitter ID to show Twitter avatar instead of Gravatar
- Display Follow site owner on Twitter below comment form
- OR Integrate with Twitter’s @anywhere to display a Twitter Follow button
- Use Twitter’s @anywhere to link Twitter IDs in your entire blog with hovercards (@installedforyou)
- Use popular short url providers to display a Tweetback URL
- Track Tweetbacks and integrate them as comments
- Nearly all text and styles can be customized to suit your blog.
Anyway, version 0.95 was just released today and expands on the features we have, and finally includes the Unsubscribe option. Yeah, it should have been there from day 1 but wasn’t.
Next up I’m making sure it’s ready for WordPress 3.0 in general (ie: still works), enhanced features for 3.0, and also the WordPress 3.0 multisite option, which may be important now that WordPress mu is integrated with core.Read More
A while back I purchased a WordPress plugin, which I had never done before. With such an abundance of good plugins available in the repository, I’ve never felt the need. Part of doing this website and consulting with various clients in various fields, I am asked regularly to evaluate a plugin or to recommend a specific one for a given task.
I purchased the ReviewAZON plugin by Brad Hanson and started building a few sites with it. I’m pretty impressed over all.
Generally, what it does is insert content from Amazon into WordPress posts or pages. You can do single product posts, multi-product inserts and even bulk important entire ranges. In fact, the book reviews on InstalledForYou.com are being auto-posted over time by the plugin.Read More